Chilli chicken, sweet & sour kidney beans & avocado salsa (page 52)
Switch & Mix
Practical Playtime / Jobs For The Kids
- Put the chicken breasts on the baking tray and make sure the kids wash their hands very well afterwards. Explain to kids that raw chicken can give them food poisoning.
- Measure the vegetable oil.
- Zest the lime. (Do this together quite a few times and always supervise.)
- Squeeze the lime. (Explain to kids why they need to steer clear of any cuts or nicks on their fingers.)
- Measure the extra virgin olive oil.
- Measure the salt and sugar.
- Mix the salsa together in a bowl.
- Weigh or count the baby plum tomatoes.
- Scoop the avocado out of its skin. (This could be messy, do it together at least the first few times.)
- Pick the mint leaves from their stalks.
- Open the tin with as much supervision as they need. (Jake started doing this at 4 years 6 months.) Measure the sour cream or plain yoghurt.
My Cooking With Kids Recipe Diary
Note to readers For the Chicken Breast chapter My Cooking With Kids Recipe Diary is less diary-like than the diaries about the other hero ingredients in ADVENTURES WITH INGREDIENTS. This is because I wrote the diary entries as a series of tasting notes which went into the book's recipe introductions, before I decided to write the fuller diaries with this site in mind. I will add to the Chicken Breast Diary as time goes on.
Jake 4 years 6 months, James 1 year 10 months
Apart from baked beans and peeled broad beans, we’ve not had much luck with the boys and beans. I’m sure it’s the texture and thickness of the skin, not the taste. If your child doesn't like
them, just do what I suggest in the introduction to the recipe. Funnily enough, Jake and James ate the same beans, pureed or roughly chopped, when they were younger. Leave the chilli off the chicken
for younger kids. For most spices I’ll say use a tiny amount, but chilli is a bit too scary. As kids get older you can start trying them with a little chilli, but keep it to tiny amounts. Jake
started finding a slightly hot mouth quite funny at 3 years 6 months.