Special occasion tiger prawn pasta (page 108)
Practical Playtime / Jobs For The Kids
- Help taking the shells off the prawns.
- Measure the water.
- Measure the tomato puree. Jake loves doing this; he calls it the tomato toothpaste.
- Peel the onion. Start your child off by cutting off the tops with a knife. Then peel the skin just enough to give them something to grip and then pull off. This is extremely satisfying at any age.
- Peel the garlic. Jake and James love banging it to loosen the skin first.
- Cut the butter with a butter knife.
- Measure the macaroni.
- Measure the double cream.
My Cooking With Kids Recipe Diary
Jake 5 years 5 months, James 2 years 9 months
Jake didn’t start eating the prawns until he was 5. Jess and I were a little put out then, because before that we’d always eaten his, but he has eaten food cooked with the stock for most of his life.
It seems that James has inherited my style of waking up. He wakes up then doesn’t want to get out of bed, then gets very grumpy when he does get up. This is exactly like me, exactly. When Jake wakes up he leaps out of the bed like Jess. It is the most amazing thing to see these little versions of our habits.