Aubergine, tomato & mozzarella 'pizza' (page 80)
Practical Playtime / Jobs For The Kids
- Choose the firmest aubergine in the shop.
- Choose the ripest tomatoes in the shop. Look at the different sorts together.
- Measure the olive oil.
- Take the sunblush tomatoes out of their oil. (We have a pair of tweezers for this.)
- Measure the tomato puree.
- Pick the basil leaves off the stalk.
- Grate the parmesan with as much supervision as they need.
- Measure the balsamic vinegar.
- Brush the aubergines.
- Stir the tomato and sunblush mixture.
- Strain the tomato and sunblush mixture.
- Let the baking sheet and aubergine cool then put the tomato, mozzarella and Parmesan on top.
- Hopefully eat it all up!
My Cooking With Kids Recipe Diary
I had a funny old time with this. I’d assumed it would be really easy but James wouldn’t even touch it and Jake took a few goes, but I just kept putting too much spice on top. I’ve had a pizza party for one of Jake’s birthdays and I see no reason why you couldn’t try with these as the base. I’m sure if I peeled them then fried them in breadcrumbs or batter there would be no problem. Ho hum.