Aubergine with glazed tofu, fried broccoli & chilli (page 72)
Practical Playtime / Jobs For The Kids
- Measure the Hoi-Sin sauce.
- Grate the ginger with as much supervision as they need.
- Peel the garlic. Jake and James love banging it to loosen the skin first.
- Measure the sesame oil.
- Cut the tofu with a butter knife.
- Pull the broccoli off its stalks.
- Squeeze the lime.
- Measure the soy sauce.
- Pick the coriander leaves from their stalks.
- Mix the dressing.
- Brush the aubergines.
- Sprinkle over the coriander.
My Cooking With Kids Recipe Diary
Jake 5 years 4 months, James 2 years 8 months
James didn’t like the mushrooms. I’d sliced them, but he really didn’t like them. To his great credit he tried a slice, but then he gagged. I’ll try giving them to him one more time, but very finely chopped.
He surprised himself by liking the tofu. I could see that he didn’t expect to like it, but then he discovered he did and he looked so surprised that I couldn’t stop laughing and I kicked the underside of the table while we ate. 'Big noise, it’s a bit stary (scary),' James said. Could it be that now he's 2 3/4 he's learned to be scared or has he just learned how to tell us? It feels he’s learned that he knows he is scared and he can be scared even when I’m next to him. I find this too sad for words.