Roast pork 'petit sale' with bacon & parsley butter (page 272)
Practical Playtime / Jobs For The Kids
- Peel the carrots with as much supervision as your child needs.
- Measure the vegetable oil.
- Measure the chicken stock.
- Cut the butter with a butter knife.
- Peel the garlic. Jake and James love banging it to loosen the skin first.
- Pick the parsley leaves from the stalks.
- Mix the parsley butter together.
My Cooking With Kids Recipe Diary
Jake 5 years 4 months, James 2 years 8 months
Jake ate this up in a flash. We struggled with James though. He did try the pork, but he just gave it a little lick. He always used to eat it and he always used to eat and love lentils. I know this is a recurring theme, but I just can’t get to a solution. Part of it is that I so want dinner to be peaceful.
Earlier on today we agreed that I, especially, have been guilty of telling him that this is his last chance to eat his dinner or I’d clear it away. But then I’d give him further chances. So we agreed that James' last chance to have fruit and yoghurt would be when Jake was about halfway through his pudding.
So we tried this, giving him plenty of warnings along the way, and it did feel right but then he went absolutely nuts when we stuck to what we’d agreed. I took him up to get him ready for bed and I started worrying about him banging his head because he was so cross. So I relented and I gave him his milk. So tomorrow, or the next day, or the next, we’ll have to start again.