Prawn, carrot & noodle broth with ginger & pesto (page 138)
Switch & Mix
Practical Playtime / Jobs For The Kids
- Measure the chicken stock if it is cold.
- Measure the Thai fish sauce.
- Grate the ginger with as much supervision as they need.
- Keep young kids away from the chilli. I often rub it on my skin or in my eyes and it’ll be terrifying for kids if they do this. Talk to them about it, then, when you feel they are ready, do it together and make safety part of the preparation routine. Tell them not to touch their eyes or anything else, and to wash their hands very thoroughly afterwards.
- Peel the carrot with as much supervision as they need.
- Weigh the baby corn.
- Weigh the mange tout.
- Weigh the raw prawns.
- Measure the pesto.
My Cooking With Kids Recipe Diary
Jake 6 years 6 months, James 3 years 11 months
Now Jakes loves prawns so much, he'll happily eat mine as well as his. You really have to be careful what you wish for. James is still not so keen on them. We've recently started trying to eat noodles with chopsticks. This is wonderful, and something to try when you’ve got a lot of time on your hands.
Jake 4 years 6 months, James 1 year 10 months
Jake and James both love noodles and soup. It’s a great messy game at the table and we know that so we have just kept trying to teach them to help us clear it all up afterwards. Jake has just started to eat prawns having tried and rejected them many times; it's simply a question of texture, same with lobster.