Rump steak with pesto, mustard, beetroot & pak choi (page 140)
Practical Playtime / Jobs For The Kids
- Measure Tamari soy sauce.
- Measure balsamic vinegar.
- Peel the garlic. Jake and James love banging it to loosen the skin first.
- Keep young kids away from the chilli. I often rub it on my skin or in my eyes. It’ll be terrifying for kids if they do this. Talk to them about it, then, when you feel they are ready, do it together and make safety part of the preparation routine. Tell them not to touch their eyes or anything else, and wash their hands very thoroughly afterwards.
- Measure grain mustard (do this together).
- Measure extra virgin olive oil.
- Grate the beetroot with as much supervision as they need.
- Cut butter with a butter knife.
- Measure pesto.
My Cooking With Kids Recipe Diary
Jake 7 years 5 months, James 4 years 9 months
I still haven't tried this one on my kids. I think it'll be time to do so very soon. Jake loves roast beef, his Nanna makes it every time he visits or she comes here. James likes all the bits that come with it, but not the meat. I think he might be a natural vegetarian and fish eater. What's it going to be like when he starts to chose? Will diets come in fads for them even though I've done all I can to teach them to eat a little bit of everything? Does it matter what I do now?