Chicken, bacon, tomato & watercress salad (page 196)
Practical Playtime / Jobs For The Kids
- Cut the garlic butter with a butter knife.
- Stuff and wrap the chicken breasts.
- Put the wrapped chicken breasts in the cold pan.
- Brush the breasts with vinegar.
- Peel the onion. Start your child off by cutting off the tops with a knife. Then peel the skin just enough to give them something to grip and then pull off. This is extremely satisfying at any age.
- Mix up the onion, sugar and salt.
- Measure the tomato juice.
- Put the watercress and tomato salad on the plates.
My Cooking With Kids Recipe Diary
Jake 5 years 5 months, James 2 years 9 months
Jake loved this. As we ate it with the fettuccine, James had that instead. But today I took James to the supermarket. We didn’t need much so we just talked. I got him involved with everything. Shall we buy this lettuce, feel that kiwifruit, that mango. He even tasted the end of some raw spring onions.
Jess does the shopping most of the time with both the boys. But I must try this more with James, get him involved in choosing the food. Talk to him and show him. We chose beans and touched mangoes. I suppose I’m not talking about all food, more the vegetables, but it was such fun.
I'd heard on the radio that walking outside is good for your brain. 'Run dad, run,' James shouted at me from his pushchair. I did and it was great. Any chance you get, get them involved.